The Church of Our Lady of the Assumption is one of the best samples of Mudejar art in Granada, thanks to the stylized roofing of the main nave, where details of embroidery
are added to the ornamental ensemble; and to the old baptismal chapel, one of the few examples of a roof with a hexagonal framework.
Built from the year 1526, the church may have been built over the old mosque of the village and it was enlarged in 1566. The construction director was the master Juan de Maeda, who designed only a nave with two side chapels and a huge tower, where the coloured Sevillian tiles are noteworthy. Ambrosio de Vico designed the impressive proto-baroque altarpiece with the iconography of the Assumption of the Virgin, which is placed in the biggest chapel.
A prodigious imagery and a pictorial collection, both of great beauty, are preserved inside, for instance: the sculpture of Saint Francis of Assisi or Saint John Nepomuk (patron saint of La Zubia), both attributed to the Mora’s circle; or those pictures by Bocanegra, a fellow student of Alonso Cano.
We should pay attention outside to the classical-style facade’s sobriety, which is characteristic of the Diego de Siloée School. It also has an eclectic touch, typical of its author, Alonso Hernández.